Wednesday, September 17, 2008

sweaty big head in front of Angkor Wat

When I was 9 or 10 I was obsessed with the family copy of Strange Stories Amazing Facts , this book put out by Reader's Digest. I read it forward and backwards, it was my Bible, I got it all manky and ruffled from so much poring over it. It was all about world history and the oddments of civilization, perfect for a history geek like me. From it I developed a yearning to travel and see places like Hay-on-Wye in Wales, Versailles, Venice, Stonehenge, Loch Ness, Karnak, Abu Simbel, Angkor Wat, Ephesus and Petra. So far I only have Petra left on the list.

I'm so freaking lucky. I always wanted to see those places, but never in a million years thought I would. Yet somehow things worked out so that I could. Damn. Amazing. And Strange.

Angkor was astounding, life changing, and I get to go again over Christmas.

No comments: